Opportunity to hire competent interns from SF State
Hosting a student should NOT be viewed as a training or mentoring program. Rather, it is simply an "exposure" program. These interns (or call them "externs") are smart and curious personalities who simply want exposure to calls, meetings, documents, leases, contracts, projects, departments and resources. Let them be a fly on the wall, give them access to files and allow them to tag along wherever you go. Then, be available for lunch or coffee to download at the end of the week. It's as simple as that.
Offering an internship is a great way to get an early look at a potential hire. Since 2014, local BOMA members (and others associated with CREATE) have hired numerous students from SF State real estate programs and every year, the demand for qualified employees continues to increase. Besides these simple guidelines (download the document here) for successfully employing an intern, please consider these tips on how this potential hire might help you – whether your company is a real estate operating organization or a vendor firm:
- Since you're likely preparing budgets during the summer months, perhaps there is an aspect of comparing historical data to current estimates that would be of interest to a finance major;
- Your chief engineer might put an intern to work in estimating utility usage and line item expenses;
- For those anticipating a LEED certification, there is always a project that requires data gathering or a tenant survey;
- Create a spreadsheet to track special projects for your property;
- Create a spreadsheet or update a current spreadsheet to track all annual permits required at the property;
- Assist with bidding a contract by updating the RFP per the manager's direction, tracking and comparing the responses.
Whether for your accounting department, construction management / tenant Improvement project, property management staff, or engineering personal – or even your sales and marketing team, please consider helping our students who have already expressed interest in a commercial real estate career. Please lend a hand!
Contact Nicole Cui at firstname.lastname@example.org if you're interested or would like more information.